Currently, suppressors are legal to own in 42 states. Suppressors can be purchased through an authorized dealer but are regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA) Branch of the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives. There are a few extra steps for purchasing a suppressor compared to a regular firearm.

  • Be a resident of a state where suppressors are legal
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Be a United States resident
  • Be legally allowed to purchase a firearm
  • Pass an ATF background check that usually needs 6 to 10 months to process
  • Pay a onetime fee of $200 per item you are purchasing


The process to purchase a suppressor from Dark Horse varies depending on your state of residence.

If you are a TX resident and would like to pick the suppressor up from us at our shop in Santa Anna, TX; we can act as your dealer and will send you a packet with the necessary forms. Then once they are completed, you can return them to us for submission to the BATF.

If you are a resident of a state other than the great state of Texas, we are terribly sorry about that.... But not to worry, you can still order a suppressor from us. We will have to find a dealer in your state that handles suppressor transfers. We will send the suppressor to them and they will help you with the Form 4 processing. Usually they will charge a fee of $125-$150 to handle the transfer.

How to Check Status on Your NFA Transfer

The ATF NFA Branch allows individuals to check the status on their own transfers. Most commonly this is an ATF Form 4 for an item you have purchased from a dealer such as a silencer, short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, or machine gun.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
National Firearms Act Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405
Voice: (304) 616-4500

Simply call the NFA Branch. Press #1 and then #1 again when asked if you have the serial number available. Ask to "check the status of your Form 4".

This process does change occasionally.

The person whom answers the phone will ask you for the serial number of the firearm your name and how you are connected to the transfer. If your name matches the transferee shown on their system, they will give you the current status. Generally, the response is "the form is pending as of (date). You can ask the estimated time for approval at this time.

ATF forms can have the following statuses:

  • None - Paperwork has not been entered into the system so there is no status. It can take several weeks to be entered into the system.
  • Pending - Paperwork has been entered into the system, check has been cashed and paperwork is processing. Pending will be the status the majority of the transfer.
  • Error - There is an error on the paperwork. Usually it is a typo or other small problem. An Error status means your forms are being handles by and examiners assistant but the issue needs to be fixed in order to proceed. Your dealer will receive a letter in the mail with the details on the error and instructions to send back for correction of the problem.
  • Approved -Your paperwork has been completed and your dealer will receive the approved forms in the mail within one or two weeks. You can then arrange the physical transfer and pickup of the firearm.

Which states allow silencer ownership?

The following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV and WY.

Of the remaining states; CA may allow silencer ownership for people in possession of a valid FFL.

Do I need a special license to own a silencer?

No! You do have to pay a $200 one-time fee for a "tax stamp" for each suppressor you purchase - but there are no ongoing fees or licenses required.